Erie Co., Penn.
Erie: S. B. Nelson, Pub., 1896
.. Historical Reference Book ..
Containing a Condensed History of Pennsylvania, of Erie County, and of the
Several Cities, Boroughs and Townships in the County:
--- ALSO ---
Portraits and Biographies of the Governors since 1790, and of Numerous
Historical and Descriptive Matter (Page 19 to Page 540) Prepared
by Benjamin Whitman.
S. B. NELSON, PUBLISHER,
[ iii ]
IN submitting the present work to the people of Erie county, the publisher takes satisfaction in the belief that he has fully complied with every promise that has been made to those who have honored him with their patronage. In the character of its reading matter, the fidelity to its purpose, the neatness of its typography and the general style in which it appears, it may reasonably be claimed to be at least the equal of any publication of similar nature that has ever been issued in Pennsylvania.
As announced in the prospectus, the work is designed as a Historical Reference Book and Biographical Dictionary, rather than as a detailed County History. The limit placed upon it from the beginning did not admit of the numerous incidents and illustrations that form an extended County History, and the aim, both of the writers and publisher, has been to present the leading events as briefly as the facts seemed to warrant, and to so arrange them that they could be conveniently found by the average reader. With this in view, the chapters have been made short and supplied with frequent sub-headings, reference has been noted in various parts of the book to other pages treating of the same subject, a copious Table of Contents has been given, and the whole has been supplemented with a full Alphabetical Index.
Attention is specially called to the Engravings, which must be conceded to be far in advance of the majority of art work in publications of the kind.
The Portraits of the Governors, the Biographies of the same, and the Political and other information relating to Pennsylvania, are features that will be appreciated by every citizen who has a patriotic interest in the state of his residence.
To those who are tempted to complain of the price and peculiar character of the book, it may be proper to explain that it would be impossible to print a creditable work of Local History at a lower figure or on a different basis without great loss to the publisher. Numerous historical publications have been issued, in Erie and elsewhere. relying upon the general public for support, and in every instance that can now be recalled they have been a sad financial failure, the sales in one or two home instances having been barely enough to pay for the white paper on which they were printed. Erie county has not yet reached the degree of wealth and population that will permit of the publication of a County History at the price of a book intended for state or national circulation, nor without some distinctive feature that will secure for it a special and remunerative patronage. The highest ambition of the writers and publisher of this book will be attained if it shall prove to be a useful preparatory effort to the complete edition of Local Annals that will come after the county has had many years of growth and its people have attained to a more wide-spread prosperity.
The Historical and Descriptive chapters of the book (pages 19 to 540) have been prepared by Benjamin Whitman, who has spent the main part of a year in collecting the material. He desires that credit shall be given for much of the information secured to Capt. N. W. Russell's newspaper contributions; Miss Sanford's History of Erie County; Warner, Beers & Co.'s History of the County, printed in 1884; Day's "Historical Collections;" Dr. Egle's History of Pennsylvania; The Archives of Pennsylvania; the Herald's "Souvenir of Erie," issued in 1888; Atkinson's Erie City Directory; the files of the several Erie journals; Hanlon's City Manual and Digest of City Laws and Ordinances, and various other sources "too numerous to mention."
The Biographical section owes much of its interest to the pen of Hon. James Sill, who contributed a number of the family and individual sketches.
The publisher returns thanks to the citizens of the county for the hearty support they have given to the enterprise, and begs leave to express the hope that they will receive the book with as much satisfaction as he remembers their kindness and liberality.
[ iv ]
[ v ]
[ vi ]
[ 1 ]
[ 17 ]
[ 18 ]
[ 19 ]
ABORIGINES. -- The portion of America included in Pennsylvania was originally occupied by an Indian tribe who "called themselves the Lenni Lenape, or original people." They spoke a common language and assembled around the same council fire. They were united, by conquest, with the historical Six Nations, embracing the Onondagas, the Cayugas, the Oneidas, the Senecas, the Mohawks, and the Tuscaroras. These natives became known to the white settlers by the general name of the Iroquois, who had their great council fire in the Onondaga valley of New York. Of this confederacy, the Senecas held control of the northwestern portion of the State, embracing Erie and adjoining counties. The Eriez, or "Cat tribe," who were the original people along the south shore of Lake Erie, were exterminated about the year 1650 by the Iroquois, as is more fully detailed in the general history of Erie county. (For a full account of the Indians of this region see the latter history.)
20 NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY
[ 71 ]
THE COUNTY OF ERIE forms the extreme northwestern portion of Pennsylvania, and is the only section of the State that borders on Lake Erie. It is bounded on the north by Lake Erie, on the east by Chautauqua county, New York, and Warren county, Pennsylvania, on the south by Crawford county, Pennsylvania, and on the west by Ashtabula county, Ohio. The length of the county along the lake is about forty-five miles, along the Chautauqua and Warren county lines thirty-six miles, along that of Crawford county forty-five miles, and along the Ohio line nine miles. It contains 772 square miles, or about 500,000 square acres. Its mean or center latitude is forty-two degrees north, and its longitude is three degrees west from Washington.
72 NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY
80 NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY
VARIOUS indications have been found in the county which lead to the conclusion that it must have been peopled centuries ago by a different race from the Indians who were found here when it was first visited by white men. When the link of the Erie and Pittsburg R. R. from the Lake Shore road to the dock at Eric was in process of construction, the laborers dug into a great mass of bones at the crossing of the public road which joins the Lake road near Scott's Pioneer Farm. From the promiscuous way in which they were thrown together, it is surmised that a terrible battle must have taken place in the vicinity at some day so far distant that not even a tradition of the event has been preserved. The skulls were flattened, and the foreheads were seldom more than an inch in width. The bodies were in a sitting posture, and there were no traces that garments, weapons or ornaments had been buried with them.
AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY. 81
No less curious are the pre-historic mounds and circles found in Wayne, Harbor Creek, Conneaut, Girard, Springfield, LeBoeuf, Venango and Fairview townships. The principal one in Wayne township, which is still in a fair state of preservation, is near the road from Corry to Elgin, and but a short distance east of the springs which furnish water for the State fish-hatching establishment. It consists of a circle of raised earth, surrounded by a trench, from which the dirt was dug, the whole enclosing about three acres of unbroken ground. The embankment has been much flattened and reduced by the elements, but was still from one to two feet high and from three to four feet wide at the base some years ago. When the first settlers discovered it the interior of the circle was covered with forest trees. Half a mile west, a little to the north of the road, on a slight eminence, was another and smaller circle, which has been plowed down, leaving no vestige behind.
82 NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY
(pages 82-90 not yet transcribed)
AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY. 91
by them. The fish are caught by getting fast in the meshes by their gills, hence the name of the net. The fish thus caught soon die. Whitefish are so delicate that a few hours' delay in removing them from the nets makes them worthless. Gill-net fishermen plan to lift their nets every forty-eight hours. Lake Erie is a subject to fierce storms that frequently continue several days, during which it is impossible for nets to be lifted. Thus hundreds of tons of choice whitefish, to say nothing of the other varieties, are held in the nets until they are of no use, and have to be thrown away. This feature of gill-net fishing has done more to lessen the number of whitefish in the lakes than any other one thing. The pound net is used almost exclusively in the western waters of the lake, and with the exception of whitefish a large percentage of the fish taken in Lake Erie are caught in pound nets. This device was introduced on Lake Erie at Dunkirk by a man named McClosky, in 1850. There are now several hundred miles of them stretched along the lake, some of the lines being from ten to fifteen miles in length.
92 NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY
All of the authorities agree that the date of the extermination of the Eriez was somewhere about 1650. It is claimed by most historians that the word Eriez was the Indian expression for wild cat, but a recent writer contends that "this is a mistake, that it does not mean wild cat, but raccoon. The latter were abundant on the lake shore, while the former were rarely seen."
AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY. 93
(pages 93-112 not yet transcribed)
[ 113 ]
AS may be seen by the preceding chapters, the first known American citizens who located permanently within the bounds of Erie county svere Thomas Rees and John Grubb, who reached. Erie in the spring of 1795 and remained until their deaths. At a later date in the same year William Miles and William Cook, with their wives, made a settlement in Concord township, near the Crawford county line, where they were the sole residents for some years. A month or so later, Col. Seth Reed, accompanied by his wife and sons, Manning and Charles John, came to Erie in a sail boat from Buffalo, which was piloted by James Talmadge, who took up lands during the season in McKean township. These three ladies were the first white persons of their sex who are known to have resided in the county. The other settlers during 1795 were Rufus S. and George W. Reed, James Baird and children, Mrs. Thomas Rees and Mrs. J. Fairbanks, at Erie; Amos Judson, James Naylor, Lieut. Martin, and Martin Strong, in Waterford, John W, Russell, George Moore and David McNair, in Mill Creek; Capt. Robert King and family, William and Thomas Black and Thomas Ford and wife, in LeBccuf; Jonathan Spaulding in Conneaut; Michael Hare and two men named Ridue and Call, in Wayne; James and Bailey Donaldson, in North East, and James Blair in Girard. So far as the records show, these were the only white people living in the county that year. Among the settlers during the interval between 1795 and 1800 were the following:
114 NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY
and John Dietz; Venango, William Allison and wife; Springfield, Nicholas LeBarger; Fairview, John Dempsey; Conneaut, Abiathar and Elihu Crane; Washington, Peter Kline; Girard, Abraham and William Silverthorn; North East, Thomas Crawford, Lemuel Brown, Henry and Matthew Taylor, William Allison, Henry Burgett, John, James and Matthew Greer; Waterford, Aaron Himrod.
AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY. 115
of the houses were plastered. Many were without window glass, and wall paper was unknown. As saw mills increased, frame buildings of a better character were substituted for the log cabins, and occasionally a brick or stone structure was erected, which was talked about in all the country round as a marvel of architecture. The people were separated by long distances; for years there were few clearings that joined. In every house there was an imrnense fire-place, in which tremendous amounts of wood were consumed, which practically cost nothing.
(pages 116-137 not yet transcribed)
138 NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY
John Clough, John Woodside, William Duncan, John Eakens, George S. Russell, John E. Lapsley, Peter Grawosz, Jacob Carmack, Williarn Henderson, Robert Irwin, Ebenezer Dwintlell, Samuel Hays, Thornas Laird, John W. Bell, Robert McDonald, Thomas Hughes, Robert Brown, John Morris, George Buchler, William Lattimore, James E. Herron, Simeon Dunn, Adam Arbuckle, Stephen Wolverton, Francis Scott, Thomas Vance.
AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY. 139
the ensuing week. On the next Thursday the population for miles around gathered at the site that had been chosen, and by night had a rough log building under roof, the first house for Protestant worship erected in Erie county. This structure was succeeded by another and better one in 1802, known to every old settler as the Middlebrook Church. From Middlebrook, after organizing a congregation of eighteen members, Messrs. McCurdy and Satterfield continued their journey to Colt's Station and North East, where they were joined by Messrs. Tate and Boyd. At the latter place these four participated in the first sacrament of the Lord's Supper ever administered in Erie county, according to Protestant forms, on the 27th of September, 1801. An audience of about 800 had assembled, of whom some forty sat down to the tables. A congregation with the title of "The Churches of Upper and Lower Greenfield" was organized at the same time.
140 NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY
180. A class was organized near Lexington, in Conneaut township, in 1801, and the same year a great revival was held at Ash's Corners, Washington township. The first church building erected was in 1804, about a mile south of West Springfield. The first quarterly meeting was held in that church in July, 1810. Meetings of the denomination in Erie were held by circuit preachers, at long intervals, commencing in 1801. Worship took place in the winter of 1810-11, in a tavern on the west side of French street, between sixth and Seventh. A congregation would seem to have been partially established soon after the beginning of the century, but was probably unable to support a pastor until 1826, at which period the First Church of Erie city dates its organization. The earliest of the other congregations in the county were those at Mill Village, organized in 1810, North East, in 1812, Fair Haven, Girard township, 1815; Girard borough, 1815; Waterford borough, 1816; Union City and Fairview, 1817; Middleboro, 1810; Northville, 1820; Wattsburg, 1827; Wesleyville, 1828.
(the remainder of this section has not yet been transcribed)
[ 281 ]
CONNEAUT TOWNSHIP is one of the original subdivisions of Erie county. It is the extreme southwestern township of the county, and contains 27,582 acres. The population was 631 in 1810; 1,324, in 1830; 1,746, in 1840; 1,942, in 1850; 2,118, in 1860; 1,538, in 1870; 1,546, in 1880, and 1,386, in 1890. The decrease between 1800 and 1870 was due to the incorporation of Albion as a borough in 1801. The township is bounded on the north by Springfield and Girard, on the east by Elk Creek, on the west by Ashtabula county, Ohio, and on the south by Beaver and Spring townships, Crawford county. Its greatest length is about eight and three-fourths miles from east to west, and its greatest width six and one-fourth from north to south.
282 NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY
from New York, and Samuel Sawdey (father of David and Benjamin), with his, sons John, Job and Daniel, from New Bedford, Mass.; in 1820, Rodolphus Loomis, from Chautauqua county, N. Y.; about 1824 or 1825, Harrison Parks, in 1829, Jonas Lewis; in 1831, Thomas Bowman, wife and family (including Ralph), from Oneida county, N. Y.; in 1832, William Cornell and John Curtis in 1833, Chester Morley and Andrew and Silas Morrison, in 1837, Christopher Cross, Edward Dorrence and Hiram Griffis; in 1837, Andrew Swap, Daniel Waters and Joseph Tubbs; in 1838, Isaiah and Johnson Pelton; in 1839, Marcus A. Bumpus.
AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY. 283
Albion depot, having a length of four or five miles.
284 NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY
Albion, to Spring Corners, Crawford county. North of Albion the canal crossed the East branch by a culvert forty-one feet high, with a span of between thirty and forty feet, which still stands and is used as a roadway.
AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY. 285
Tracy about ten years ago. The church was built about 1890 and the congregation is attached to Albion circuit.
286 NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY
The class is small, but has a frame church edifice partially finished.
(Pages 287-291 have not yet been transcribed)
[ 292 ]
ELI COLTON, the first settler in Elk Creek township, moved in from Granby, Conn., early in 1797. During the spring of 1798 or 1799 the settlers were George Haybarger and his brother-in-law, John Deitz, from Maryland, who were followed by their families in the succeeding fall, in charge of Arnestes Deitz, father of John. Mr. Haybarger changed to Mill Creek in 1810, where his descendants remain. In 1800 Elihu Crane took up the tract on which Craneville stands, where he remained until his death. He was from Connecticut, and settled in Conneaut township in the spring of 1798, from which place he changed to Elk Creek. During 1800, or a little before numerous parties located in the township, among whom were David Randall, Daniel Alers, Mr. Odell and Mr. Harrington. In 1802 David Sherrod arrived from Susquehanna county. James McCammon, with his sons, James and Robert, came from Ireland early in the century, locating first at Philadelphia and finally in Elk Creek. Other early settlers were Jabez Clark, Charles Scott, Maxon Randall and the Shieldses and Spragues.
AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY. 293
The lands of Elk Creek are generally rolling, with a clay soil, except a narrow belt of gravel along the East branch of Conneaut creek and its tributaries. The hill lands, which include about two-thirds of the township, are well watered, being the sources of numerous small streams. Land ranges in value from twenty to forty dollars.
294 NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY
(Pages 295-301 have not yet been transcribed)
[ 302 ]
GIRARD TOWNSHIP was carved out of Elk Creek, Fairview and Springfield in 1832, receiving its name from Stephen Girard, the Philadelphia millionaire, who held a large body of land in the adjoining township of Conneaut. The old line between Fairview and Springfield ran through the township parallel with the present line dividing Elk Creek and Conneaut. Girard township is bounded on the north by I,ake Erie, on the east by Fairview and Franklin, on the south by Conneaut and Elk Creek and on the west by Springfield. In the widest part it is six and a quarter miles from east to west by seven and three-eighths from north to south. The population was 2,060 in 1840, 2,443 in 1850, 2,453 in 1860, 2,018 in 1870, 2,338 in 1880 and 2,280 in 1890, inclusive of Miles Grove in the latter year, which was credited with 570 inhabitants. The villages are Miles Grove and West Girard, and the postoffices are Miles Grove, Francis, and Fairplain. The township is divided on the line of the "Nickel Plate" R. R. into two election districts -- the north one being known as Miles Grove and the south one as Girard.
AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY. 303
Vt., in 1816; Elijah Drury, from Genesee county, New York, in 1817; Ethan Loveridge and Nathan Sherman, from Oneida county, New York, in 1818; Joseph Long, from Massachusetts, in 1825; Matthew Anderson, from Chenango county, New York, in 1830; George Traut, from Columbia county, New York, in 1831; James Miles, from Union township, and Titus Pettibone, from Wyoming county, New York, in 1832; William Kirkland, in 1833, and Joshua Evans and family from Summit township in 1837. Among other early settlers, the date of whose arrival is not ascertained, were Messrs. Taggart, Pickett, Badger, Martin, Wells, Clark, Laughlin and Woverton. The last four were the earliest who located on the site of Girard borough, Mr. Wells having owned most of the land embraced within the corporate limits. James, Isaac and Abraham Silverthorn located among the first, and Thomas Miles about 1801. John Randall kept a tavern at the mouth of Elk creek in 1804.
304 NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY
east from Fairview, along the foot of the first rise, cut through the ridge to Elk creek, crossed that stream by an aqueduct ninety-six feet above the water, and 500 long, and followed the valley of Hall's run southward. Its route; in the main, is followed by the "Peasley" road from the Lake Shore plain southward.
AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY. 305
seen, which was one of a chain of four, extending in a southwesterly direction through East Springfield toward Ohio. These mounds are exactly alike, consisting of round earthwork inclosing a space of about three-fourths of an acre, with apertures at regular intervals. Similar remains are to be found in Conneaut, Harbor Creek, Wayne and Concord townships. On a hill between Girard and Lockport was an Indian burial ground.
306 NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY
land donated by J. Robert Hall, agent of the latter's estate. The first services of this congregation were held in 1860, but there was no regular rector until 1862.
AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY. 307
at North East. Rev. Father Briody is the present pastor in charge.
308 NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY
States Register in Bankruptcy for this Congressional District from 1867 to 1879; U. P. Rossiter, elected District Attorney in 1893
AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY. 309
most creditable features of the borough, owes its origin to the liberality of Robert Wilcox, a native of Girard, who bequeathed $5,000 for the purpose. The building was dedicated on the 3d of May, 1895.
[ 345 ]
SPRINGFIELD TOWNSHIP, one of the original sixteen, is the most northwesterly in the county. It is bounded on the north by Lake Erie, on the east by Girard and Conneaut townships, on the south by Conneaut, and on the west by Ashtabula county, Ohio. Up to the year 1835, the south line was a mile or so further north than now, but by an arrangement with Conneaut, the latter ceded that portion of her territory lying beyond the creek on the condition that Springfield should pay one-half of the expenses of maintaining bridges along the boundary. The east line of Springfield extended to Miles Grove, parallel with that of Conneaut and Elk Creek, until 1832, when the township was reduced by the formation of Girard. The first officers in the township were elected in 1811. Springfield contained 896 inhabitants in 1820, 1, 520 in 1830, 2, 344 in 1840, 1,916 in 1850, 1,742 in 1870, 1,792 in 1880 and 1,642 in 1890, inclusive of the borough of East Springfield. Its greatest length is about seven and a half and its greatest width about six and a quarter miles. The villages of West Springfield and North Springfield both have postoffices of the same name. East Springfield, the most populous place in the township, was created a borough in 1887. The old State line of Pennsylvania, before the purchase of the Triangle, terminated on the Hewitt farm in Springfield, between four and five miles east of the Ohio boundary.
346 NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY
a time in Eastern Pennsylvania, all of whom became permanent settlers. Capt. Holliday married in Franklin county in April, 1797, and the young couple started immediately on a wedding tour to their new home, Mrs. H. riding on horseback and her husband walking by her side with his gun over his shoulder. Their route was by a trail through the woods from Pittsburg to Erie, and from there along the beach of the lake to the mouth of Crooked creek. During the year 1797, the little colony was increased by the arrival of Oliver Cross, from Vermont, and of Thomas and Oliver Dunn, from Ireland. The Dunns remained but a few months, when they changed to McKean. Other pioneers reached the township as follows: In 1798, Nicholas Lebarger, of Bedford county; in 1800, Matthias Brindle, of Franklin county, and a Mr. Bruce; in 1801, Robert McKee, of Cumberland county, and Oliver Smith, from Massachusetts; in 1802, Isaac, Jesse, John D. and Thomas R. Miller, John Eaton and John Law, all of Franklin county, Henry Adams, of Massachusetts, John Hewitt, of Connecticut and John Rudd, Jr.; in 1803, Andrew Cochran and Abraham Eagley, of Dauphin county, George Ferguson, of Cumberland county, and William Ferguson of Ohio; in 1804, Samuel Rea, of Franklin county, and John Rudd, sr., and family; in 1806, John Hall, of Mifflin county; in 1808, Erastus DeWolf, of New York; in 1810, Joseph Ware, of Vermont; in 1813, Zachariah Thomas, of Vermont; in 1815, William Gould, of Chautauqua county, New York, Anderson Hubbard, of Ohio, and Luke Thayer, of Massachusetts; in 1816, Benjamin Carr, of Essex county, New York; in 1817, John Albert, of Cattaraugus county, New York; in 1818, David Ellis, of Massachusetts, and Derby Walter and Ezekiel Currier, both of Lyme, New Hampshire; in 1819, Andrew and Henry Mallory and Thomas Ivory, all of New York; in 1820, James, Benjamin and Lucius Bond, of Massachusetts, John S. Sherman, of New York, and James Anderson, of Virginia; in 1822 Wm. Doty, of North East; in 1824, A. Whiton, of Ashtabula county, Ohio; in 1826, John Mausell, of Otsego county, New York, and Peter Simmons; in 1829, Geo. Simmons, of Saratoga county, New York; in 1830, Lorenzo Harvey, of New York, William H. Townsend, of Washington county, New York, and Selah Walbridge, of Vermont; in 1831, I. Pond, of New York, and Seymour Devereaux, of North Last; in 1832, Scott Keith, of Girard, Pennsylvania, Stephen Warner, of Genesee county, New York, and Matthew Gray, of Lockport, N. Y.; in 1833, R. R. Robinson, of Sparta, N. Y.; in 1834, William Marsh and E. Smith, both of Wyoming county, N. Y.; in 1836, Clark Baldwin, of Vermont, Thomas Potter, of New York, and E. R. Hedden and William Church, both of New Jersey; in 1836, Thomas Webster, of Washington county, New York; in 1839, T. S. Cowles, of Connecticut; in 1840, C. Lindsey, of New York; in 1841, Joseph Strong, of Massachusetts; in 1842, Gilbert Hurd, from Rock Stream, N. Y.; in 1846, L. W. Savage, of Genesee county, New York; in 1854, Joel Day, of Wyoming county, New York. Mr. Brindle, like Captain Holliday, first came on in 1800, located lands, went back and brought his family the next spring. Jesse Miller removed to Mercer county in a few years.
AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY. 347
348 NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY
AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY. 349
the Nickel Plate -- which cross the township from Girard into Ohio. The Lake Shore has a station in North Springfield, and the Nickel Plate one each for East and West Springfield. The Erie and Pittsburg R. R. branches off from the Lake Shore in Girard township, half a mile from the Springfield line, which it follows southward into Conneaut, at about the same average distance. Crosses' Station, in Girard township, a mile and a half from East Springfield, was established for the accommodation of the township.
350 NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY
half a mile south of Lake Erie, and twenty by railroad from Erie. The railroad company have at this place a station house, two water tanks and an engine house to pump the water up from Crooked creek. Its station was established in 1852, the year the road was opened.
(the remainder of this text has not been transcribed)
AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY. 861